• 中文版
  • BM
  • News
  • Deals
  • Reviews
    • First Impressions
    • Hands-on
    • Comparisons
  • Tech
    • Mobile
    • Computers
    • Cameras
    • Wearables
    • Audio
    • Drones
  • Telco
    • Celcom
    • Digi
    • Maxis
    • Time
    • Tune Talk
    • U Mobile
    • Unifi
    • Yes
  • Cars
  • Contribute
  • Jobs
Menu
  • 中文版
  • BM
  • News
  • Deals
  • Reviews
    • First Impressions
    • Hands-on
    • Comparisons
  • Tech
    • Mobile
    • Computers
    • Cameras
    • Wearables
    • Audio
    • Drones
  • Telco
    • Celcom
    • Digi
    • Maxis
    • Time
    • Tune Talk
    • U Mobile
    • Unifi
    • Yes
  • Cars
  • Contribute
  • Jobs
Search
  • Tech
    • News
    • Mobile
    • Computers
    • Cameras
    • Wearables
    • Audio
    • Drones
  • Telco
    • Celcom
    • Digi
    • Maxis
    • Time
    • U Mobile
    • Unifi
    • Yes
  • Reviews
    • First Impressions
    • Hands-on
    • Comparisons
  • Buyer’s Guide
  • Opinions
  • Digital Life
  • Video
  • Deals
  • How-To
  • Cars
  • Bahasa Melayu
  • EV
  • Contribute
  • Advertise
Menu
  • Tech
    • News
    • Mobile
    • Computers
    • Cameras
    • Wearables
    • Audio
    • Drones
  • Telco
    • Celcom
    • Digi
    • Maxis
    • Time
    • U Mobile
    • Unifi
    • Yes
  • Reviews
    • First Impressions
    • Hands-on
    • Comparisons
  • Buyer’s Guide
  • Opinions
  • Digital Life
  • Video
  • Deals
  • How-To
  • Cars
  • Bahasa Melayu
  • EV
  • Contribute
  • Advertise
Search
Close
Home Telco

Fahmi reveals delays for Malaysia’s second 5G network despite DNB hitting 80% coverage target

  • BY soyacincau
  • 13 March 2024
  • 1:02 pm
  • Comment
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil today said the second 5G network rollout will be delayed even though Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB) has already achieved 80 per cent coverage.

He said the delay was also for the board of DNB to take shape before the rollout.

“We are waiting for the formation of the board of DNB because since the share subscription agreement was signed on December 1 last year, a discussion session was held.

“There are a few points that I discussed with the CEOs of all the telecommunication providers involved when I was in Barcelona. They have sent a letter to Treasury secretary-general Datuk Johan Mahmood Merican for consideration.

“Now I think we are waiting for a response from the treasury. This process will take some time because it involves legal aspects. So I leave this matter to a special committee co-chaired by the Communications Ministry and the chief secretary of treasury,” he said in a press conference at his ministry, here.

On December 1 last year, five major mobile network operators (MNO) signed the SSA that would see each hold a 14 per cent of stake in DNB after more than a year of tense negotiations that nearly thwarted the RM16 billion enterprise.

The agreement between DNB and the MNOs would likely help allay concerns about corporate interest taking over DNB’s mandate to make the fifth-generation high-speed internet a public utility, at least temporarily.

Malaysia's 5G Dual Network Model
Transition from Single Wholesale Network to Dual Network was supposed to begin in January 2024 after DNB achieves 80% 5G population coverage

The Anwar government earlier last year agreed to the setting up of a second purely commercial entity that would help develop a second 5G network in a decision widely seen as a compromise after MNOs had threatened to boycott signing up for DNB shares.

Channel News Asia quoting sources as saying that MNOs likely agreed to the DNB share take-up because they are allowed to form the second entity, among other conditions.

Work to develop a second network via the new entity will only be allowed to begin after DNB has achieved 80 per cent coverage, Fahmi said.

On January 10, DNB’s 5G coverage nationwide hit the 80 per cent threshold.

To cover some of DNB’s cost to develop the 5G network, each MNO will inject RM230 million to meet the state entity’s funding requirements. —  Malay Mail

[ IMAGE SOURCE ]

Related reading

  • Where’s Malaysia’s promised second 5G network?
  • Fahmi: Malaysia’s 5G is number one globally for consistency, proven all naysayers wrong
  • Digital Nasional Berhad and CyberSecurity Malaysia to be placed under Digital Ministry
  • Fahmi: Telcos will no longer impose 5G access fees on customers
Tags: 5G5G MalaysiaDigital Nasional BerhadDual NetworkFahmi FadzilSingle Wholesale Network
soyacincau

soyacincau

POPULAR

Fahmi reveals delays for Malaysia’s second 5G network despite DNB hitting 80% coverage target

March 13, 2024
Rear view of the OPPO Find X9 Ultra in Tundra Umber standing vertically on a stone surface with a lush green bokeh background. The device features an eco-friendly vegan leather back with a classic stitching design , vertically oriented Hasselblad and OPPO logos , and a large circular Master Lens camera module with a bronze-toned knurled ring.

Clearing Every Expectation: How the OPPO Find X9 Ultra Redefines the Modern Flagship Experience

April 16, 2026

Volvo EX30 owners affected by recall told not to charge above 70% following two fire incidents in Thailand

May 19, 2026

SoyaCincau x Dongfeng Pop Up EV Clinic: Track Edition 2026: Chase a podium or cruise with friends; we’re opening the grid to everyone

May 13, 2026

SoyaCincau x Dongfeng: We’re taking over Sepang for Malaysia’s biggest EV Track Day for 2026

May 8, 2026
BYD Inokom Visit - May 2026

BYD is here to stay in Malaysia: CKD with Sime Motors set to happen soon?

May 18, 2026

Copyright © 2025 · SoyaCincau.com
Mind Blow Sdn Bhd (1076827-P)

  • ADVERTISE
  • DISCLAIMER

Copyright © 2026 · SoyaCincau.com – Mind Blow Sdn Bhd (1076827-P)

  • ADVERTISE
  • DISCLAIMER