Days since MCO

MCO started on Mar 18, 2020

DAYS

Days till RMCO lifted

RMCO expected to lift on Apr 14, 2021

DAYS

Our coverage on COVID‑19

Does your mobile internet speed still make a difference in 2021?

This article is brought to you by Digi.

The internet is accessible almost anywhere these days. It’s there when you wake up to check on the news and social media, and it constantly needs to be there for you as you communicate, share, work and play.

Last year, the internet has become even more important as traditionally “offline” tasks like meetings and learning have to be moved online. Video streaming, video calling, online learning, and an increased consumption of media online has fundamentally changed the way consumers use the internet. 

And because of this shift, it has also become important that users change the way they think about mobile internet. One factor, for example, is speed. In a pre-COVID world this may not have been that important, but with how much more of our daily lives is now online, this has become more important than ever.

Changes in how you work and learn

With everyone staying at home and socially distancing, video conferencing has become the main way we communicate with each other. This applies to our workplaces and also to schools.

Classes and meetings are conducted on apps like Zoom or Google Meet, and these apps demand a faster connection than sending a simple text message via WhatsApp. Video platforms like YouTube and Vimeo have also become convenient platforms for the sharing of educational content and we all know how taxing streaming content can be.

Changes in how you play

Since it’s safer to be confined in our homes, pastimes have changed too. More people are gaming and binging content online than ever before. And, with the abundance of streaming platforms like Netflix offering higher resolution content, it is imperative that your mobile internet speeds can keep up with the demand.

SEE ALSO:  Celcom and Digi to announce merger today?

With the growing popularity of mobile games, we’re also seeing an increase in quality for the games that you play on your phone. Genshin Impact and Fortnite are games that you would previously associate with a desktop computer, but now you can play them on your phone.

But this also means an increase in file sizes when it comes to patches and updates. So you’ll need the speed to download and get into the action quicker.

Is your mobile data fast enough for what you do with it?

You need about 25Mbps for Ultra HD quality Netflix streaming. Video conferencing platforms like Zoom also require a surprising amount of speed. A 1080p HD Zoom video a conference session, for example, needs about 3.8Mbps to run smoothly. And if we’re talking about gaming, then the more speed the better when it comes to downloading those huge update files.

So, if you’re looking for a telco with fast internet speed, which telco do you consider? Well, how about the telco that was just crowned as Ookla’s fastest mobile operator in Malaysia during Q3-Q4 of 2020, Digi?

Speedtest by Ookla—one of the most popular speed tests for connection data rates—can be used to measure your mobile data speed in just two shakes of a lamb’s tail. Digi achieved Ookla’s award after scoring a 29.36Mbps Speed Score, with average download speeds of 29.59Mbps and average upload speeds of 11.75 Mbps.

Ookla measured the Speed Scores by comparing 5,688,095 user-initiated tests in Malaysia taken on the Speedtest app on iOS and Android. Ookla then determines the fastest carrier by incorporating a measure of each provider’s download and upload speed to rank a network’s speed performance. 90% of the final Speed Score is attributed to download speed, whether the remaining 10% is attributed to upload speed.

SEE ALSO:  Axiata confirms "advanced discussions" with Telenor on Celcom-Digi merger

Digi’s fast mobile data connection for the average user means that Digi users can depend on their data’s download and upload speeds. This comes especially handy when users need reliable and fast mobile data for their work, school and play—and when home or office-based connections aren’t feasible or dependable.

If you haven’t made the switch yet, and are looking for a data provider with faster mobile data speed, check out Digi’s postpaid plans, prepaid plans, and click here for more information. You can also check out Ookla’s Speedtest Award Report here.