• 中文版
  • BM
  • News
  • Deals
  • Reviews
    • First Impressions
    • Hands-on
    • Comparisons
  • Tech
    • Mobile
    • Computers
    • Cameras
    • Wearables
    • Audio
    • Drones
  • Telco
    • Celcom
    • Digi
    • Maxis
    • Time
    • Tune Talk
    • U Mobile
    • Unifi
    • Yes
  • Cars
  • Contribute
  • Jobs
Menu
  • 中文版
  • BM
  • News
  • Deals
  • Reviews
    • First Impressions
    • Hands-on
    • Comparisons
  • Tech
    • Mobile
    • Computers
    • Cameras
    • Wearables
    • Audio
    • Drones
  • Telco
    • Celcom
    • Digi
    • Maxis
    • Time
    • Tune Talk
    • U Mobile
    • Unifi
    • Yes
  • Cars
  • Contribute
  • Jobs
Search
  • Tech
    • News
    • Mobile
    • Computers
    • Cameras
    • Wearables
    • Audio
    • Drones
  • Telco
    • Celcom
    • Digi
    • Maxis
    • Time
    • U Mobile
    • Unifi
    • Yes
  • Reviews
    • First Impressions
    • Hands-on
    • Comparisons
  • Buyer’s Guide
  • Opinions
  • Digital Life
  • Video
  • Deals
  • How-To
  • Cars
  • Bahasa Melayu
  • EV
  • Contribute
  • Advertise
Menu
  • Tech
    • News
    • Mobile
    • Computers
    • Cameras
    • Wearables
    • Audio
    • Drones
  • Telco
    • Celcom
    • Digi
    • Maxis
    • Time
    • U Mobile
    • Unifi
    • Yes
  • Reviews
    • First Impressions
    • Hands-on
    • Comparisons
  • Buyer’s Guide
  • Opinions
  • Digital Life
  • Video
  • Deals
  • How-To
  • Cars
  • Bahasa Melayu
  • EV
  • Contribute
  • Advertise
Search
Close
Home News

Huawei allowed to do business with U.S. tech firms…for now

  • BY Rory Lee
  • 21 May 2019
  • 1:47 pm
  • Comment
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Huawei hasn’t had the best weekend so far. News broke that the U.S. government placed Huawei on the entity list which resulted in them losing access to Google’s services and hardware components until further notice. Today though, it looks like the situation is improving for the Chinese tech giant as the U.S. government has temporarily eased the trade restrictions imposed on the company.

Reuters reports that this move is “aimed at minimising disruption for its customers”, and that the U.S. Commerce Department will allow Huawei Technologies to “purchase American-made goods in order to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to existing Huawei handsets.”

However, Huawei are still prohibited from buying American parts and components to manufacture new products without licence approvals, which Reuters reports that will likely be denied.

According to U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross, the new authorisation is also intended to give telecommunications operators that rely on Huawei equipment, time to make other arrangements. Ross added that the license, which is in effect until August 19, will also allow operations to continue for existing Huawei mobile phone users and rural broadband networks.

Huawei’s founder Ren Zhengfei dismissed this move, saying that the temporary repreive borke little meaning for the company, and that the tech firm was already prepared for U.S. action. Earlier reports indicate that the company has already been stockpiling critical components, enough to last for at least three months. Those reports also indicate that the company has been fast-tracking the development of their own chips, modems and processors to help with the situation.

“The U.S. government’s actions at the moment underestimate our capabilities,” said Ren in an interview with CCTV, according to a transcript published by the broadcaster. Ren says that Huawei is capable of making the chips it buys from the U.S. though that does not mean it will stop buying american chips.

A reality check

Washington trade lawyer Douglas Jacobson says that he thinks this is a reality check. He added that this shows just how pervasive Huawei’s products and technology are around the world, and the kind of impact a U.S. restriction would have.

Meanwhile, president of the Semiconductor Industry Association John Neuffer said in a statement that the association wants the U.S. government to ease the restrictions further, adding that they hoped to work with the administration to broaden the licence’s scope so that it would advance the U.S.’s security goals without undermining the industry’s ability to compete globally.

The Semiconductor Industry Association represents U.S. chipmakers and designers.

Last year, of the USD70 billion that Huawei spent on buying components, USD11 billion of that went to American firms like Qualcomm, Intel and Micron Technology. Because of this, reports indicate that stringent export controls on technologies could cause U.S. firms to lose up to USD56.3 billion in export sales over five years. This could also threaten as many as 74,000 jobs.

[SOURCE]

Tags: HonorHuawei
Rory Lee

Rory Lee

POPULAR

Huawei allowed to do business with U.S. tech firms…for now

May 21, 2019
Rear view of the OPPO Find X9 Ultra in Tundra Umber standing vertically on a stone surface with a lush green bokeh background. The device features an eco-friendly vegan leather back with a classic stitching design , vertically oriented Hasselblad and OPPO logos , and a large circular Master Lens camera module with a bronze-toned knurled ring.

Clearing Every Expectation: How the OPPO Find X9 Ultra Redefines the Modern Flagship Experience

April 16, 2026

SoyaCincau x Dongfeng Pop Up EV Clinic: Track Edition 2026: Chase a podium or cruise with friends; we’re opening the grid to everyone

May 13, 2026

Volvo EX30 owners affected by recall told not to charge above 70% following two fire incidents in Thailand

May 19, 2026
BYD Inokom Visit - May 2026

BYD is here to stay in Malaysia: CKD with Sime Motors set to happen soon?

May 18, 2026

Sarawak’s Batang Lupar 1 Bridge: Malaysia’s longest river-crossing bridge opens today

May 21, 2026

Copyright © 2025 · SoyaCincau.com
Mind Blow Sdn Bhd (1076827-P)

  • ADVERTISE
  • DISCLAIMER

Copyright © 2026 · SoyaCincau.com – Mind Blow Sdn Bhd (1076827-P)

  • ADVERTISE
  • DISCLAIMER