B.1.1.529 COVID-19 variant: Mandatory 14-day quarantine for Malaysians and residents returning from seven African nations

The Ministry of Health (MoH) today announced it is monitoring the B.1.1.529 COVID-19 variant, a new mutation of the coronavirus with 32, or double the amount of spike proteins within the currently dominant Delta variant.

Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin, during a press conference today, explained how the incubation period, typical symptoms and infectivity of the B.1.1.529 variant are still being studied.

Khairy said to date, cases of infection involving the new variant have been detected in three countries, with 77 cases in South Africa, four cases in Botswana, and two cases in Hong Kong.

“Based on genomic surveillance carried out until November 26, there are no cases of the virus’ new B.1.1.529 variant reported yet in Malaysia.

“As of now, the World Health Organisation (WHO) is still assessing developments related to the new B.1.1.529 variant. For now, this new variant has been categorised by the WHO as a Variant Under Monitoring (VUM),” he said during his press conference today.

Following the discovery of the new variant, Khairy said MoH has decided to implement several precautionary measures, with Malaysians no longer allowed to travel to South Africa, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, and Zimbabwe.

Foreigners with a travel history from these seven countries within the last 14 days will be denied entry to Malaysia.

Khairy said as for Malaysians or permanent residents looking to return from these countries, regardless of their vaccination status, they will have to undergo mandatory 14-day quarantine at a designated isolation centre and will not be allowed to quarantine at home.

“Besides that, samples will be taken from these individuals who arrive from these countries as part of the genomic surveillance.

“This decision will come into effect on November 27, 2021,” he said.

The first cases of the B.1.1.529 variant, according to MoH, were reported in Botswana on November 11, then three days later in South Africa, followed by another case reported yesterday in Hong Kong with the patient having previously travelled to South Africa. —  Malay Mail

[ IMAGE SOURCE ]

Recent Posts

DC Handal deploys 50kW DC and 22kW AC charge points at Plaza Mont Kiara

Visitors heading to Plaza Mont Kiara can now charge up their EV with the latest…

8 hours ago

EVPower deploys 30kW DC and 22kW AC charge points at IJN, now 50% off for limited time

EVPower has turned on a total of 4x EV Charge Points at Institut Jantung Negara…

9 hours ago

Poco Pad C1 launched in Malaysia, priced from RM549: Budget tablet with 9.7″ screen, 7,600mAh battery, Snapdragon 6s 4G Gen 2

Aside from the Poco C81 Pro, the Xiaomi sub-brand has also launched a budget tablet,…

12 hours ago

Qualcomm brings Snapdragon X2 series AI PCs to Malaysia

Qualcomm has officially unveiled its Snapdragon X2 Series platform in Malaysia. The new series expands…

12 hours ago

Poco C81 Pro now in Malaysia: Budget smartphone with 6.9″ 120Hz LCD, 6,000mAh battery, priced from RM389

Poco has launched its latest budget smartphone, the Poco C81 Pro, in Malaysia. With a…

13 hours ago

Prasarana to introduce tap-in and tap-out with credit cards and QR payments for MRT, LRT and Bus Rides

Ever wished you could just tap in with your credit card at an MRT or…

15 hours ago

This website uses cookies.