Categories: News

Malaysians take their MCO 2.0 concerns to Twitter ahead of PM Muhyiddin’s COVID-19 address

Thousands of tweets from concerned users in Malaysia are making the “MCO 2.0” trend on Twitter ahead of Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s special COVID-19 address today at 6pm.

As millions of Malaysians wait with bated breath for the announcement, Twitter users have been expressing their concerns over another full-blown lockdown similar to the one in March last year.

While many users used memes, gifs and witty graphics relating to the movement control order, some shared their worries about the social and economic implications that another lockdown could bring to Malaysians.

A user, @Reenaax, wrote that the country can’t afford another MCO as many families were affected due to loss of jobs and pay cuts during the first one last year.

Instead, the user suggested an inter-state travel ban to curb the spread of the infectious disease. 

“MCO 2.0 will do more harm than good. So stop demanding for it. A better option will be to close the state borders.”

Echoing similar sentiments another user said more people could be out of jobs if the country re-implements MCO.

“Few of my friends said their company may sack some more employees if MCO 2.0 happens.”

The user, @husnaliszarai, also lashed out at those who poke fun at the situation with their jokes.

“Here on the timeline some of you made jokes of it. Life is sure easier for your right?

“It’s so damn hard to bring food on the table so be careful with your jokes.”

Apart from those who are concerned about the economy and jobs, many students also took to Twitter their worries about their classes and Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examination.

“Bye SPM if we get MCO 2.0. I don’t think I can do this anymore, I just get more anxious as the time pass by,” wrote a user.

 “I told myself to hang in there just a little bit to comfort myself and now all the motivation is gone like that.”

Another student shared the same concern over the SPM exam and online classes should a renewed lockdown is imposed.  

“As a Form 5 student this year, I wonder how we can score SPM with online classes for two years if MCO 2.0 is confirmed, not to mention about the new format though.”

Some users also used amusing gifs and photos to show their readiness if a full-blown MCO is back in place.

With new daily infections still above the 2,000-case mark after reaching 3,027 on Thursday, speculation is rife that Muhyiddin may bring back some form of movement restrictions in some states to mitigate the situation. — Malay Mail

[ IMAGE SOURCE ]

Related reading

Recent Posts

iCaur 03 iWD is now locally assembled in Malaysia: Still priced at RM130k

iCaur Malaysia has announced the official availability of the iCaur 03 CKD, which is locally…

6 hours ago

Huawei Watch Fit 5 series launched in Malaysia with diabetes risk analysis & ECG, priced from RM799

Huawei has introduced two new smartwatches in its Watch Fit series — the Huawei Watch…

6 hours ago

MAA warns limiting EV choices could derail Malaysia’s Net Zero emission goals

The Malaysian Automotive Association (MAA) has expressed concern over Malaysia’s updated CBU EV policy, saying…

8 hours ago

DC Handal turns on 6x 22kW AC Charge Points at The Exchange TRX, RM1 per kWh

There are now more EV chargers available at The Exchange Mall at TRX. DC Handal…

14 hours ago

Google cuts AI Ultra pricing in Malaysia, now starts from RM429.99/month with 20TB storage

Google has revised its Google AI Ultra subscription pricing in Malaysia, introducing a new Ultra…

16 hours ago

Samsung and Google tease Gemini-powered smart glasses, their answer to Meta Ray-Bans

Samsung has officially teased a new pair of AI-powered smart glasses developed together with Google,…

16 hours ago

This website uses cookies.