Apple’s latest iOS 14 and watchOS 7 updates, which were released in the middle of September, is causing problems for its users with complaints pouring over Twitter over the past few days. The most serious issues facing iPhone and Apple Watch users is increased battery drain on their devices after updating to iOS 14.
According to a report from The Verge, users with updated devices said they experienced a range of issues ranging from missing fitness data, health apps that refuse to open to inaccurate reports of stored data.
Across the board, the biggest issue has been the degraded battery performance on iPhones. One user tweeted that he suffered a drain from 90% to 3% in just one hour. Granted this one example seems to be the extreme side, but most people are experiencing the similar issues with their iOS devices.
Fixing the problem
Apple is aware of the problem and it has posted a way to resolve some of these issues and prevent future data loss. The Cupertino company listed a number of issues iOS 14 and watchOS 7 have reported including:
- Your workout route maps are missing in the Fitness app on iPhone for previous GPS-enabled workouts from your Apple Watch.
- The Activity, Heart Rate, or other health-related apps fail to launch or load data on your Apple Watch.
- The Fitness app or Health app fail to launch or load data on your iPhone.
- The Health app or Fitness app is reporting an inaccurate amount of data storage on your iPhone.
- The Activity app is reporting an inaccurate amount of data storage on your Apple Watch.
- Your environmental sound levels data or headphone audio levels data from Apple Watch is missing in the Health app on iPhone.
- Increased battery drain on your iPhone or Apple Watch.
Apple advises users that are experience two or more of the listed issues to unpair their iPhone and Apple Watch, back up to iCloud and erase all content from their iPhone. Following this, restore your iPhone and Apple Watch from the backups on iCloud.
However, there is no guarantee that this scorched earth tactic may completely resolve all problems. Sadly, there does not seem to be a way to restore missing workout route maps, environmental sound levels or other missing data.
Apple has since issued a bug fix update iOS 14.0.1 though none of the above issues were part of that fix.