According to a report by NST, a 19 year old boy was found dead in his room while sleeping with his phone. His mother tried to to wake him up at 7am but there was no response. After unlocking his door, she found her son lying motionless in his bed.
According to State Criminal Investigation Department chief, Kamaluddin Kassim, the boy had both headphones on which are hooked up to his phone. He was also charging his phone at the same time with a powerbank. There were noticeable burn marks on his shoulder where his powerbank was placed but it can’t be confirmed if the powerbank had exploded.
At this point, it can’t be certain if his death was due to electrocution from a powerbank. There’s also no mention of the type phone or powerbank was he using, and we’re not sure if a powerbank has the capacity to electrocute a person to death.
We have heard of people being electrocuted while charging their smartphones but in most occasions it involves a direct power adapter. As always, we recommend using only original and certified powerbanks, chargers or cables for your device. There are cheaper options out there but it ain’t worth the risk.
For those who use their phones before sleeping, we also discourage sleeping with your device. If you need to charge your device overnight, please place it further away from you.