ASUS has already began to push the Android 7.0 Nougat update to one of its high end smartphones, the Zenfone 3 Deluxe. But its mid-rangers didn’t get much attention until now.
Today the updates are hitting ZenFone 3 with the model number ZE520KL as well as the model number ZE552KL (that’s the 5.2- and 5.5-inch versions).
The updates are pushed over-the-air (OTA), and it is suggested that users manually check for the updates now. You can check for the update in Settings > System Updates > Check Update. Also, at least 1.5GB free space is required for users to update their ZenFone 3 smartphone to Android 7.0 Nougat.
Besides the software upgrade, the update will also bring in some changes added by ASUS. For example, removal of redundant app shortcuts such as “Audio Wizard”, “Splendid”, “System update” and “Flashlight” from all apps menu. ASUS has also said that they have improved the touch performance.
What’s more, the volume options for the ringtone and notifications are now available as separate options and the system UI has been adjusted for better usability.
An added bonus is, the update will enable VoLTE and VoWiFi, which is great news considering the fact that more Malaysian telcos are beginning to implement it.
Here are the release notes:
·Update version: V14.2015.1701.8
·Release date: March 8, 2017
1) Add bundled notifications switch. (Settings > Notification > Configure notifications).
2) Improve Touch performance.
3) Enable FET VoLTE and VoWiFi.
4) Remove “Share Link” as it does not work properly on Android N.
5) Remove redundant app shortcuts “Audio Wizard”, “Splendid”, “System update” and “Flashlight” from all apps menu.
6) Remove “Tap and hold to show menu” from, and add “Tap and hold to activate Multi-window” to Settings > ASUS customized settings > Recent apps key.
7) Quick Settings now supports multiple pages, you can swipe left to right to see more quick settings if using more than 12. User can enter or edit screen by tap the edit button on top right corner to determine which settings enabling or disabling.
8) Split “Ringtone & Notifications” volume bar into “Ringtone” and “Notification” volume bars on “Volume Panel” and “Sound & Vibration” Settings. So users can adjust “Ringtone” and “Notification” volume respectively.
9) Remove Shake Shake from ZenMotion.
10) Please note that some live wallpapers (Holo Spiral, Bubbles, Black Hole, Phase Beam) are not compatible with Android N and will be removed after system upgrade.
11) For user who upgrade from Android M to Android N and do Factory reset, the home workspace will be updated to the new layout.