For iOS users, the iOS 5 release is welcomed with much enthusiasm. There’s a lot to like about the many “new” (old for Android and to a certain extent Windows Phone users) features coming to the iPad, iPod touch and iPhone.
Speaking of iPhones, in the WWDC Steve Jobs did mention that iOS 5 will be available for the iPhone 3GS and while things like Notifications Centre, deep Twitter integration and native picture editing are all nice, many iPhone 3GS users are wondering what features will make it across to their not so cutting edge smartphone — one of us here at SoyaCincau.com still uses a 3GS too mind you.
Well the many enthusiasts out there who have gotten their hands on the iOS 5 beta are now coming back with their findings on the features that will be supported by the iPhone 3GS. You’ll be happy to note that most of the key features that make the iOS 5 special will be making it to the 3GS.
So far from reading the many posts, forums and comment threads about this topic, the known iOS 5 features supported by the iPhone 3GS that we can find include:
- Notifications Centre, including lock screen display
- Twitter integration looks to be all there as well
- PC Free activation and synchronisation with iTunes, iCloud and everything else you can do over the air with iOS 5
- Reminders works too. We’re not sure about the cool geo-tag triggers but its a safe bet to assume that that will make it across as well
- Newsstand works but like iBooks and music/video purchases in iTunes, you’ll need a US Apple ID to be able to buy any content
- Grid view in camera. This looks to be the only new feature in the camera app that will be coming to the 3GS. Native picture editing is missing very likely due to the lack of processing power
- In Safari, Reading List and Reader is supported
- iMessage is supported
What is currently missing from iOS 5 on the 3GS:
- We’re not sure if the instant access camera button in the lock screen will make it across
- Not sure if the volume button on the 3GS can work as a shutter release
Also, we’re not sure if iOS 5 will bring new ringtones and notifications sounds to the 3GS as well. Right now iPhone 4 users get all the new tones and sounds, while 3GS owners are stuck with the same old, though this is not really an issue for jailbroken 3GS.
That’s pretty much what we’ve found out. If you have gotten yourself the iOS 5 beta and have installed it on a 3GS because you are awesome, please do share with us your findings.