Categories: News

Jakarta police urge McDonald’s to discontinue special edition BTS meal

Indonesian police officials in Jakarta and several other cities were forced to issue temporary closure notices to various McDonald’s outlets after the fast food chain’s popular BTS meal caused a frenzy.

Several stores were ordered to temporarily halt operations for violating health safety protocols amid after K-pop fans sent droves of food delivery riders, known as ojol in the republic, to order the special edition meal, Coconuts Jakarta reported.

The BTS and McDonald’s meal was launched in Indonesia on Wednesday and just like Malaysia, not even a raging pandemic could hold fans back from getting their hands on the set.

The fast food giant has since apologised but authorities are keen for the special edition meal to be withdrawn from the menu for now in the name of public safety to prevent COVID-19 from spreading.

“We suggested (McDonald’s management) yesterday so the BTS Meal promo is discontinued for now.

“We can’t have crowds like this anymore,” Jakarta Metro Police spokesman Yusri Yunus told Indonesian newspaper Kompas yesterday.

Indonesia reported a record 8,892 new COVID-19 infections yesterday, the republic’s highest figure since February 23.

Indonesia’s Public Order Agency temporarily closed more than a dozen McDonald’s outlets on Wednesday to respond to the flood of drivers that gathered to place orders for customers.

The agency also had to disperse delivery riders who had been queueing for hours to order the BTS Meal.

The coveted limited edition set was initially available only through drive-thru and selected delivery platforms to stop customers from overcrowding McDonald’s outlets in Indonesia but the preventive measure backfired.

In Jakarta alone, 20 McDonald’s outlets were ordered to close temporarily while a dozen others were slapped with written warnings.

“To anticipate the (queues of Drive-thru and delivery purchases), we are implementing open-close orders on the order platforms,” McDonald’s Indonesia’s spokesperson Sutji Lantyka said.

“If we’re swamped with orders, we’ll close (the outlets on the food delivery platforms) and we’ll open them again once the orders dwindle down,” Sutji said on Wednesday.

Despite being urged by the police to discontinue the BTS Meal, McDonald’s Indonesia has yet to indicate if it would continue selling the meal.

However, Coconuts Jakarta reported that the meals weren’t available on food delivery apps.

The BTS Meal comes with nine pieces of Chicken McNuggets, medium fries, one Coke and two sauces, Sweet Chili and Cajun, specially picked by the boyband.

In Indonesia, the meal is sold for 51,000 Indonesian rupiah (RM14.77) and will be available until July 7. — Malay Mail

[ IMAGE SOURCE ]

Related reading

Recent Posts

DC Handal deploys 50kW DC and 22kW AC charge points at Plaza Mont Kiara

Visitors heading to Plaza Mont Kiara can now charge up their EV with the latest…

6 hours ago

EVPower deploys 30kW DC and 22kW AC charge points at IJN, now 50% off for limited time

EVPower has turned on a total of 4x EV Charge Points at Institut Jantung Negara…

7 hours ago

Poco Pad C1 launched in Malaysia, priced from RM549: Budget tablet with 9.7″ screen, 7,600mAh battery, Snapdragon 6s 4G Gen 2

Aside from the Poco C81 Pro, the Xiaomi sub-brand has also launched a budget tablet,…

10 hours ago

Qualcomm brings Snapdragon X2 series AI PCs to Malaysia

Qualcomm has officially unveiled its Snapdragon X2 Series platform in Malaysia. The new series expands…

10 hours ago

Poco C81 Pro now in Malaysia: Budget smartphone with 6.9″ 120Hz LCD, 6,000mAh battery, priced from RM389

Poco has launched its latest budget smartphone, the Poco C81 Pro, in Malaysia. With a…

11 hours ago

Prasarana to introduce tap-in and tap-out with credit cards and QR payments for MRT, LRT and Bus Rides

Ever wished you could just tap in with your credit card at an MRT or…

13 hours ago

This website uses cookies.