Categories: News

Ismail Sabri “baffled” by public backlash over Chinese New Year SOP

Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob has defended the COVID-19 standard operation procedures SOPs announced for the Chinese New Year celebrations against public criticism, saying the protocols were only passed after engaging dozens of stakeholder groups.

The senior and defence minister said he is “baffled” by the public backlash that followed his announcement of the SOPs yesterday, when they had been prepared and endorsed by associations and bodies that represent the ethnic Chinese community.

Ismail said the National Security Council adopts recommendations made by the National Unity Ministry (KPN) when preparing the SOPs for religious or cultural celebrations.

Ismail noted the same procedure had been adopted for this year’s Lunar Year celebration anti-COVID-19 protocols.

“For example before we announced the SOPs for Deepavali, Thaipusam, Christmas, Gawai Day and Kaamatan, KPN had already engaged and obtained agreement from religious leaders about how to draft the SOPs,” the minister said in a statement.

“Normally, to respect the recommendations, the government rarely alters the SOP that has been decided by the KPN, religious leaders, and the relevant organisations,” he added.

KPN had engaged with 21 religious, cultural and community-based organisations that represent the Chinese before preparing the Lunar Year celebrations SOPs for this year, the ministry said in a statement issued earlier today.

The groups held two separate meetings with the KPN, first on January 12 and the second on January 18.

“So I am baffled as to why the SOPs for this year’s Chinese New Year celebrations are being heavily criticised by the public,” Ismail said.

The SOP debacle quickly became the subject of ridicule both from the public and politicians from all sides, who said the regulations have come to characterise the government’s poor response to the pandemic.

Despite enforcing Emergency rule and a new round of lockdown that started three weeks ago, the rate of daily positive cases has continued to soar.

On social media, people began creating memes to mock the SOPs alongside several elected representatives who joked that families could now shift their reunion dinners from home to the night market, and would still be deemed to have complied with COVID-19 regulations.

The NSC published a FAQ yesterday detailing the SOPs, among them, limiting the customary reunion dinner only to members of the same household.

Critics have since attempted to pile pressure to force the NSC to review the SOPs.

Ismail suggested today any changes to the protocols will hinge on the KPN.

“If there are any adjustments by the KPN after taking into account the views of the public, KPN can retable them for the NSC’s consideration,” the minister said. ― Malay Mail

Related reading

Recent Posts

DC Handal deploys 50kW DC and 22kW AC charge points at Plaza Mont Kiara

Visitors heading to Plaza Mont Kiara can now charge up their EV with the latest…

7 hours ago

EVPower deploys 30kW DC and 22kW AC charge points at IJN, now 50% off for limited time

EVPower has turned on a total of 4x EV Charge Points at Institut Jantung Negara…

8 hours ago

Poco Pad C1 launched in Malaysia, priced from RM549: Budget tablet with 9.7″ screen, 7,600mAh battery, Snapdragon 6s 4G Gen 2

Aside from the Poco C81 Pro, the Xiaomi sub-brand has also launched a budget tablet,…

11 hours ago

Qualcomm brings Snapdragon X2 series AI PCs to Malaysia

Qualcomm has officially unveiled its Snapdragon X2 Series platform in Malaysia. The new series expands…

11 hours ago

Poco C81 Pro now in Malaysia: Budget smartphone with 6.9″ 120Hz LCD, 6,000mAh battery, priced from RM389

Poco has launched its latest budget smartphone, the Poco C81 Pro, in Malaysia. With a…

12 hours ago

Prasarana to introduce tap-in and tap-out with credit cards and QR payments for MRT, LRT and Bus Rides

Ever wished you could just tap in with your credit card at an MRT or…

14 hours ago

This website uses cookies.