Categories: News

Sabah to reopen Mount Kinabalu and national parks from 7 December

Mount Kinabalu and other national parks in Sabah will be reopened in stages to hikers and nature lovers beginning December 7.

Sabah COVID-19 spokesman Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said the state government and Sabah Parks are currently in the process of drawing up new standard operating procedures and that regulations will be tighter, including limiting the number of visitors allowed entry.

“Mount Kinabalu will be opened in stages beginning December 7, and for a start, the number of hikers is limited to 50 per cent of the previous capacity,” he said in a virtual press conference here today.

He said the capacity will depend on the availability of overnight lodging at the peak.

Sabah is slowly reopening its nature attractions to boost its battered tourism-driven economy.

Earlier this week, Masidi announced that scuba diving is back on the cards, but said operators must ensure a 30 per cent boat capacity to dive sites.

Masidi also announced that 50 per cent of civil servants will have to start reporting for duty at the office beginning December 7.

“They will also be subject to strict SOPs during this time,” he said.

Previously, only 30 per cent the state civil service were allowed to work in the office while the others had to work from home.

Sabah has been hit hard by the third wave of the pandemic, following the snap polls which ended on September 26.

A conditional movement control order was imposed as of October 13. — Malay Mail

Related reading

Recent Posts

Under-16 Social Media Ban: Malaysians must verify age using MyKad or passport from 1 June

In less than two weeks, Malaysia will require social media users to verify their age…

2 hours ago

DC Handal deploys 50kW DC and 22kW AC charge points at Plaza Mont Kiara

Visitors heading to Plaza Mont Kiara can now charge up their EV with the latest…

17 hours ago

EVPower deploys 30kW DC and 22kW AC charge points at IJN, now 50% off for limited time

EVPower has turned on a total of 4x EV Charge Points at Institut Jantung Negara…

18 hours ago

Poco Pad C1 launched in Malaysia, priced from RM549: Budget tablet with 9.7″ screen, 7,600mAh battery, Snapdragon 6s 4G Gen 2

Aside from the Poco C81 Pro, the Xiaomi sub-brand has also launched a budget tablet,…

21 hours ago

Qualcomm brings Snapdragon X2 series AI PCs to Malaysia

Qualcomm has officially unveiled its Snapdragon X2 Series platform in Malaysia. The new series expands…

21 hours ago

Poco C81 Pro now in Malaysia: Budget smartphone with 6.9″ 120Hz LCD, 6,000mAh battery, priced from RM389

Poco has launched its latest budget smartphone, the Poco C81 Pro, in Malaysia. With a…

22 hours ago

This website uses cookies.